In India, summer is the lengthiest season, and with mercury levels constantly on the rise, air conditioners have become a necessity in every household. Summers in many parts of India are challenging, with temperatures reaching 45 degrees (celsius) and beyond. This year, we observed the hottest April in Delhi.
There was a time when air conditioners were a luxury, but with the changing times and weather conditions, they have become an integral part of almost every home in India. Air conditioners these days come with more than just cooling features; they come with in-built air filters to cleanse the air, making it safe to breathe in polluted cities.
Different air conditioners are available for domestic use- window units, split AC units, cassette AC units, and portable ACs. Out of these, split ACs are the most favored. This is because they are easy to install, operate and maintain. And most importantly, they are energy-efficient.
So, if you are planning to purchase a split air conditioner for your home, we have you covered. This buying guide lists India’s top-selling split air conditioners and why they are the most preferred options.
The Top 5 Split Air Conditioners: Reviews
If you are looking for an air conditioner that is both efficient and stylish, then the LG PS-Q19YNZE (2022) model is perfect for you. Amazing dual inverter technology and a standard 1.5-ton capacity make it a great choice for Indian homes and workplaces.
The best feature you cannot miss about it is its energy efficiency. With a 5-star EE rating, it is one of India’s most energy-efficient air conditioners. Moreover, it’s exceptional Himalayan Cool Technology that cools the place evenly is not something you will find in similar variants. LG is a terrific brand famous for providing excellent warranties on its goods and services. This device comes with a one-year comprehensive guarantee and a five-year warranty on the PCB, and ten years on the compressor.
Its capabilities are exponential, ideal for standard rooms and fluctuating temperatures.
Features of the L.G. AI Dual Inverter Split AC:
- 1.5 Ton Capacity Suitable for Medium Sized Rooms (111 to 150 sq ft.)
- HD Filters with Anti Virus Protection
- Artificial Intelligence Cooling Mode
- 4 Way Swing
- AI Convertible 6-in-1 Cooling
- 100% Copper Condensers
- Low Gas Detection
- 15 Meters Air Throw
- Capacity to cool efficiently even at 52⁰ C
What I Liked:
- Faster and uniform cooling: Within a few minutes, the room evenly cooled; not like you’re sitting under a fan, and if you move away, it’s no longer cool.
- 6 Fan Speed Steps: A zero fan speed activates the air conditioning to a suitable temperature in excessive humidity. You may select anything from 1 to 6 fan speed levels if the weather is hot and dry.
- Auto-clean function: Cleaning an air conditioner is quite a task, but this particular AC can clean itself. Its auto-clean feature keeps it clean, and you can get it professionally serviced once every season.
- Intelligent diagnosis system: The quick diagnosis system makes it simple to fix minor issues.
- The 6-in-1 cooling modes: You may regulate the cooling according to the number of people in the home- more individuals increase the cooling.
What I Didn’t Like:
- Lacks Features: No PM filters and wi-fi support available in other brand models priced in this range.
- No LED light on the remote: The remote of the AC does not have a light on the display, so it is difficult to use the AC at night.
Who Should Buy the L.G. PS-Q19YNZE?
The LG 1.5 Ton AC is an excellent choice for people who want an AC with advanced features and good cooling performance. In addition, the 6-step energy control is perfect for people who have frequent visitors. It also makes a fantastic choice for pet owners since it has a self-cleaning mechanism.
Panasonic CS/CU-NU18XKYWA is a smart AC, so it will be controlled by Alexa and other applications to switch it off and on, which is excellent for tech-savvy slobs like me. At a reasonable price, Panasonic has created an outstanding air conditioner. It is packed with a variety of features.
The custom sleep profiles, in addition to the wi-fi capability, distinguish it from the rest. In addition, you may personalize the settings to change the cooling levels throughout the night without disturbing your sleep.
The air conditioner is constructed with high-quality materials and is built to last. Its copper condenser coil with blue shield technology ensures that it is resistant to corrosion. The thermostat is integrated into the AC, so there’s no need for a stabilizer. It also has built-in technology to protect against voltage fluctuations, saving you money on an additional device.
The warranty and EER of Panasonic’s system are comparable to those of the competition. Therefore, I am confident that this air conditioner is as good as it gets.
Features of the Panasonic Wi-Fi Twin-Cool Inverter Split AC:
- Wi-Fi Air Conditioner
- Works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- Smart Diagnosis with one-touch
- Shield Blu Anti Corrosion Technology
- Customized Sleep Profiles
- Remote Access and Control with AI-Enabled App.
- Stabilizer Free Operation
- In-Built Dehumidifier
- PM 2.5 Filter
What I Liked:
- Wi-Fi Air Conditioner: I can instruct Alexa to turn it on and off for me.
- Customized Sleep Profiles: I generally feel chilly in the morning and have to turn off my air conditioning, after which I end up feeling hot.- it keeps the correct temperature for me and does not overheat or chill me down in the middle of the morning.
- Air Filter: The pollution problem is so significant these days that the PM 2.5 filter in this air conditioner is exactly what everyone in India needs.
What I Didn’t Like:
- Heater Maybe: While it’s probably too much to expect in such a feature-rich model, a heater would be appreciated.
- Given this model’s price, everything is perfect.
Who Should Buy the Panasonic CS/CU-NU18XKYWA?
This is the perfect air conditioner for anybody who requires a budget smart ac with an air filter and one that is both durable and long-lasting.
Blue Star is looked upon as a budget brand. I cannot recall any salesman pointing me to Blue Star products when I visit electronic stores. However, I do have a few Blue Star products at home and can vouch for their quality and customer service.
This Blue Star 1.5-ton split AC is an excellent energy-efficient and feature-packed air conditioner. Given the price, it’s more than adequate. It has all of the features an air conditioner in this price range can have.
It has outstanding features like the self-clean function to keep the evaporator coil clean and prevent mold and bacteria build-up.
The 4-way swing provides good air circulation throughout the space, and the turbo cool function promotes faster and more efficient cooling in hot weather. You’ll be able to expect it to take approximately 20 minutes for the space to cool down from a temperature of above 27 degrees.
The warranty and customer service by Blue Star are great.
Features of the Blue Star Inverter Split AC:
- Automatic 4D swing
- Turbo Cool
- Eco Mode
- Anti-Corrosive Blue Fins
- Hidden Display
- Self Clean Technology
- In-built Dehumidifier
- 100 % Copper Coils and Tubes
- Smart Detection Technology
- Sleep Mode
What I Liked:
- Hidden Display: The display can be disabled, so it doesn’t disturb your sleep.
- Eco Mode: This is a tremendous energy-saving feature
- In-built Dehumidifier: This is a handy feature, especially during rains.
What I Didn’t Like:
- Noise: Some consumers have claimed that the noise of this air conditioner is excessive. I, on the other hand, believe it is bearable.
- Lacks Features: It lacks several features, such as pm filters, wi-fi connectivity, and so on, when compared to other brands in this price range.
Who Should Buy the Blue Star IC518EBTU?
This is a good air conditioner for anybody looking for an inverter AC with basic features. It does not have all the fancy bells and whistles that other brands offer but is still a good product.
I am a big supporter of IFB machines. They deliver value for money. This IFB 1.5-ton twin inverter split air conditioner will make your summers more enjoyable.
It’s a little device, but it packs a lot of features you wouldn’t expect, such as seven-stage air treatment. For example, assume your air conditioner isn’t only supposed to keep you cool; instead, it can also be used as an aroma diffuser, air purifier, etc.
One of the best features of this AC is the inverter compressor that makes it energy-efficient and reduces your electricity bills. In addition, the AC has a 4-way auto cool function that evenly distributes cooling throughout the room.
The air conditioner also has a lengthy air throw, ensuring every corner of your room is cooled. In addition, the AC unit has a deficient noise level, so now, breathing in filtered fresh air even if your home is not well ventilated is no more a problem.
IFB, like other brands, is providing a one-year warranty on the machine plus four years of super warranty on this product. In addition, they offer five years of support on PCB units and a ten-year warranty on compressors.
Features of the IFB Twin Inverter Split AC:
- Heavy Duty Compressor
- 4 Way Auto Cooling
- Long Air Throw
- Air Cooled PCB
- Low Noise Level
- Inverter Compressor
- 7 Stage Air Treatment
- 5 Star Energy Efficiency
- Weather-Proof Protective Coating for Outdoor Unit
- PM 0.3 Filter
What I Liked:
- Inverter Compressor: My utilization is more than 5 hours each day, so this function is valuable to me because it efficiently cuts down on power usage. If your ac usage is less than 2-3 hours per day, this feature isn’t particularly beneficial.
- PM 0.3 Filter: There is an air purification mechanism embedded so you can breathe fresh air even f you stay in polluted areas.
- Aroma Diffuser and other air purification mechanisms.
- The remote is beautiful.
- PCB cooling technology: I’ve had difficult experiences with my previous air conditioner, which heated up due to a faulty PCB. I paid a lot of money for the new one.
What I Didn’t Like:
- Nothing to me.
Who Should Buy the IFB IACI18SA5G3C?
For people seeking a 5-star unit with all the perks, the IFB 1.5 Ton 5 Star Twin Inverter Split AC is an excellent option. It comes with a generous warranty and after-purchase support.
If you’re looking for an air conditioner that can do it all, look no further than the Lloyd 2.0 Ton 3 Star Inverter Split AC. This powerful unit is perfect for any home or workspace.
With Golden Eva Coils, an In-built Dehumidifier, and a 2-way swing function, this AC has everything you need to keep your space comfortable all year long.
Additionally, the PM 2.5 filter ensures that your air is always clean and fresh, while the silver ion filter eliminates odors for an enjoyable experience.
The Lloyd Inverter Split AC is designed to withstand even the hottest temperatures, cooling your space quickly and efficiently.
Features of the Lloyd Inverter Split AC:
- PM2.5 Air Filter
- Cools at 52 °C
- Golden Eva Coils
- Two Way Swing
- Stabilizer Free Operation
- Valve Protection Cover
- Strong Dehumidifier
- Blow Function
- One Year Warranty on Product and 10 Years on Compressor.
What I Liked:
- Golden Eva Coils: The AC has golden Eva coils that provide superior cooling while also being energy efficient.
- PM 2.5 Filter: I loved that this AC came with a PM 2.5 Filter. I don’t need an air purifier.
What I Didn’t Like:
- Customer support: Lloyd’s customer support seems to be lacking in India. I had to wait a while for someone to answer my call.
- No light on remote: The AC’s remote does not have a light on the display, making it difficult to operate in low-light situations.
Who Should Buy the Lloyd GLS24I36WSEL?
If you’re looking for an AC with PM 2.5 Air Filter, Strong Dehumidifier, 2-way swing function, and more, then the Lloyd Inverter Split AC is a perfect choice.
Split Air Conditioner: Buying Guide
When purchasing a Split Air Conditioner, several things must be considered, such as the capacity of an air conditioner, energy efficiency, price, etc. Continue reading to learn more about them:
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Split AC:
Types of AC:
The first step is to identify the air conditioner that will suit your needs. The four most common types of air conditioners available in the market are:
Split Air Conditioner: These are the most commonly used ACs in India. They are easy to install and are available in a wide range of prices and capacities.
Window Air Conditioner: Window ACs are less expensive than split air conditioning. A window air conditioner is a single unit placed in a window or a wall opening. They’re ideal for compact spaces (up to 150 square feet).
Cassette Air Conditioner: A cassette air conditioner is similar to a split air conditioner. It also has two units, an indoor and an outdoor unit. However, the indoor unit of a cassette air conditioner is installed in the ceiling instead of on the wall. Cassette ACs are more expensive than Split ACs, but they offer better cooling and are more aesthetically pleasing.
Portable Air Conditioner: Portable air conditioners are standalone units that can be moved from one room to another. They’re ideal for people who live in small apartments or houses where space is limited.
The capacity of an AC is measured in tons and is usually available in 0.5, 1, 1.5, and 2-ton models. It is essential to select a suitable capacity because an AC that is too small will not be able to cool the room correctly, and one that is too big will result in wasted energy.
A 1-ton AC is more than enough for rooms smaller than 130 square feet. However, a 1.5-ton AC is preferable for rooms with a surface area of around 185 sq. feet to ensure optimal cooling.
The energy efficiency of an air conditioner is measured by its Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER). The higher the EER, the more efficient the air conditioner. Air conditioners with a higher EER are more expensive than those with a lower EER, but they will save you money in the long run because they use less energy.
The next step is choosing the type of compressor you want in your air conditioner. There are two types of compressors available: Inverter and Non-Inverter.
Inverter Compressor: An Invertor compressor is more expensive than a non-invertor compressor, but it is more energy-efficient. It also has a longer lifespan and is quieter than a non-invertor compressor.
Non-Inverter Compressor: A non-inverter compressor is cheaper than an inverter compressor, but it is less energy efficient. It also has a shorter lifespan and is louder than an inverter compressor.
When it comes to buying an air conditioner, one of the most important things to consider is indoor air quality. An AC with a clean filter is critical for improving the air quality in your home. Air filters in ACs help remove dirt and germs from the air and smoke and odors.
Apart from cleaning the air, a good filter also protects against dust and other particles from reaching the evaporator coil, ensuring improved performance and energy efficiency.
In addition, look for an AC with a decent dehumidification unit to reduce humidity levels in your space.
The condenser and coils used in the air conditioner determine its expected operational life and capacity. There are two types of condensers available: aluminum and copper.
Aluminum Condenser: Aluminium condensers are more affordable than copper condensers, but they’re not as durable. They’re also more susceptible to corrosion.
Copper Condenser: Copper condensers are more expensive than aluminum condensers, but they’re more durable and have better heat transfer properties.
When purchasing an Air Conditioner, consider noise as a crucial element. When an air conditioner is working, it makes more noise. Therefore, always pick units that produce less than 50-60 DB of noise when switched on. A noisy air conditioner will distract you while you work and sleep.
The price of an air conditioner starts at Rs 15,000 and goes upto Rs 1 Lakhs and above. So consider carefully before buying an air conditioner that meets your needs and fits your budget.
After-Sale Service and Warranty:
When purchasing an air conditioner, you should think about the company’s after-sale service. This is especially relevant if you’re buying a Split AC.
Some Companies provide annual maintenance contracts (AMCs) that include regular servicing and repairing your air conditioner. Opting for the service might be a good choice if you don’t want to worry about your AC maintenance.
Warranty is another factor to consider when purchasing an air conditioner. Most ACs come with a one-year warranty, but some companies offer extended warranties of up to five years.
The last thing to consider is the installation process. If you’re buying a Split AC, you must check the company’s after-sale support. This is because Split ACs are more complicated to install and require more technical knowledge. Most of the negative reviews on Amazon are because of lousy installation- so indeed something people are bothered about.
Window ACs are relatively easy to install and can be done by anyone with basic DIY skills.
Pros and Cons of Buying a Split Air Conditioner
Benefits of Buying a Split Air Conditioner:
- Efficient: Split air conditioners are very efficient. They use less energy than traditional AC units and can save you money on your energy bill each month.
- Appeal: Split air conditioners can be appealing to the eye. They are sleek and often come in various colors to match your home’s decor.
- Space-Saving: Split air conditioners don’t take up much space. The compressor is usually located outside, so all you need inside is a small wall unit.
- Noise: A split ac is considerably quieter than a window air conditioner since the external condenser for a split ac is distant from the interior unit.
Downsides of Buying a Split Air Conditioner:
- Cost: Split air conditioners can be more expensive than traditional AC units. They may not be the best option if you are on a budget.
- Installation: If you buy a split air conditioner, be aware that you’ll need to hire a professional to install it to verify your warranty and for safety reasons.
- Location: The compressor is installed outside the house, so you need to have a proper space for it, which may not be easy if you live in an apartment or studio.
- Outer Unit Noise: The external unit of a split air conditioner can be noisy, and the hot air it lets out can be a bother if you haven’t installed it in the correct location.
Now that you know the pros and cons of buying a split air conditioner, you can decide before buying one. But, first, consider all the factors before finalizing your purchase.
What I Recommend
Split ACs are an excellent option if you are looking for an efficient and space-saving option. But, be aware of the downsides before making your decision. For example, a traditional AC unit might be a better option if you’re on a budget.